Here’s an example – you know when you’re searching in Google and the little box pops up under the search bar with suggested search terms? That’s AJAX. What’s happening behind the scenes is this:
- The page you are on is sending the letters you type in the search box to another page behind the scenes
- That page looks up that combination of letters (and others like it) in it’s database of search terms
- The page takes the list of similar search terms and sends it back to the page you’re on
- The page you are on adds the HTML dropdown list to the page and displays it
- When you click on one of the suggestions, it changes the text in the search box
All of this is done without having to refresh the page. That’s where the Asynchronous part of the AJAX comes in.
So… How do you use AJAX?
So… How have I actually used it?
So… Can you give me the code to do that?
I’ll have to do that in another post…